We are sorry to inform you that the Carnegie building has closed owing to the COVID-19 pandemic and Lambeth Council’s policy. WE SHALL REMAIN CLOSED UNTIL WE GET THE ALL CLEAR FROM THE GOVERNMENT AND COUNCIL.
Meanwhile Trustees are working from home on various fronts, including:
- Funding applications
- Consultation on our plans
- Improving our website
We hope that when it is safe to reopen the building, Herne Hill and Loughborough area residents will have renewed enthusiasm for joining together to establish a true Community Hub for all to enjoy. Meanwhile, please help us with our consultations and do get in touch with any ideas, suggestions or comments you may have for the future.
Funding to Restore Part of the Perimeter Garden at Carnegie
Your views – everyone – invited please on our proposal and funding application.
Carnegie Community Trust is applying for funding to restore the perimeter gardens on the Ferndene Rd side of Carnegie Library building. This section, which is in two parts separated by a path to the side door, was the area of the garden most damaged by the works to excavate the basement to build the gym.
A group of eight volunteers with a range of relevant skills have been identifying existing planting, measuring, planning and researching to develop plans for these two sections of the garden and we have produced drawings showing our ideas.
The proposed improvements are:
- Break up and remove old tarmac and rubble
- Protect plants and shrubs we wish to keep e.g. the anemones and the holly trees
- Lay bases for new paths following a route wide enough for wheel chairs and not requiring wheelchairs to reverse
- Lay resin bound gravel
- Restore and plant at least two original round flower beds
- Bring in new soil to the outer edges and plant shrubs
- Protect and tidy up covers for drains and other utilities
- Install a Pergola against the building wall with planting
- Install new bike stands
This funding application does not include any of the front garden facing Herne Hill which will be the subject of further consultation.
Please let us have your views about this proposal by Wednesday 8th April. Just send a quick email to firstname.lastname@example.org
Carnegie Community Trust
31st March 2020